I did some research, and though it has not been long enough to be certain it has been corrected, it looks promising. Here are the suggestions that I tried:
- Archive everything older than 3 months (it was 6). This should reduce the size of your PST file -- mine was 2.6 MB. My understanding is that newer versions of Outlook do not have problems with large PST files, but why take a chance? Tools | Options >> Other >> AutoArchive...
- Start a new outcmd.dat file (C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\application data\microsoft\outlook), as it could be corrupt. Close Outlook, rename the file, start Outlook -- a new version will be created.
- Remove unnecessary Add-ins. Tools | Options >> Other >> Advanced Options >> Add-In Manager... and COM Add-ins...; Close and Re-open Outlook.
- The David Allen Company User Forums
- Rocket Computers
- Geeks to Go
- Or search Google with "outlook 2003 slow"