I tried updating to the latest version, 8.0.2, but that still didn't help. After no luck with some Google searching on "dreamweaver 8 find and replace crashes" I tried to do some Registry exploring and I figured out a solution. Upon initial exploration, I determined that Dreamweaver held various parameters specific to Search & Replace. After trying a few things, I found the ones that seem to be the culprits.
Enough said, here are the steps:
- Close Dreamweaver
- Launch Regedit (Start >> Run...; Regedit; OK)
- Go to HK_users >> HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1606980848-1500820517-839522115-1689
Most of this key is going to be unique to you. If you share the machine, you need to identify the key specific to you.
- Continue navigating to >> Software >> Macromedia >> Dreamweaver 8 >> Find and Replace
- Right-click on Find and Replace and Export. This will allow you to undo in case you have a bigger problem (i.e. lockup or crash)
- Delete the following keys
- Start Dreamweaver