Now I wanted my graph to update whenever I changed the input values. I could easily type in a new value, but that quickly got tedious. Using Data Validation, I was able to create drop-downs for the inputs that frequently might change.
Here's how to do it.
- Create your worksheet, with a section that lists your input values
- In a new column, list the values you want in the drop-down (it must be on the same worksheet)
- Put your cursor in the field where you want the drop-down and go to Data | Validation...
- On the Settings tab, select List from the list labeled Allow
- Also on the Settings tab, click the table icon next to the Source field and highlight your list (step 2)
- Press Enter to accept
- Click OK
- With the new drop-down arrow next to the filed, select the input from the list
You can have as many of these as you would like, just remember to have the list data on the same worksheet. You can also hide the column(s) that contain your lists, so users of your spreadsheet will not see them.